Marching towards FoolMoon + FestiFools 2011
Without a moment to spare — I mean, a weekend of Foolishness kicks off TOMORROW NIGHT! — I am finally ready to unveil my annual, behind-the-scenes sneak-peek at the making of FestiFools. Given that FestiFools is now celebrating its fifth anniversary, our Foolish friends have seen fit keep the Foolish franchise fresh by adding a brand new event: FoolMoon, which will happen this Friday (April 1), from dusk to midnight!
FoolMoon is exactly like FestiFools, except for a few minor — negligible, really — differences:
- • FoolMoon is at night; whereas FestiFools is during the day.
- • FoolMoon is a 4-hour event (4 times as long as FestiFools).
- • At FoolMoon, individual frolickers will carry smallish sculptures, which they themselves likely built (see below). In contrast, at FestiFools, each puppet requires a team of 3–4 “wranglers.”
- • FoolMoon aspires to shimmery, shadowy, mysteriousness (I’m totally curious to experience the vibe of this new event); whereas FestiFools is more bold, blatant, in-broad-daylight.
- • FoolMoon starts with luminary processionals originating from three separate “Constellation Stations” (Kerrytown Market & Shops, the UMMA, and Slauson Middle School) and threading their way through Ann Arbor, ultimately converging on W. Washington St., between Main and Ashley. In contrast, FestiFools starts from Williams and Washington, stays between Williams and Washington, and ends when the puppets exit at Williams and Washington.
- • And if you ignore the live music from Vulf Duo, Juice, and Third Coast Kings, and also the barber chairs in the middle of Washington St. (Orbit will be providing FREE, Fool-luminous hair designs to all who dare), it will be rather like FestiFools. Indeed, I venture that many will not be able to differentiate the one event from the other.
Stay in the Foolish loop!
- FestiFools website: festifools.org
- FestiFools (the ORGANIZATION) page on Facebook (this is the best way to stay up to date)
- FoolMoon April 1st EVENT page on Facebook
- FestiFools April 3rd EVENT page on Facebook
- A Photo-Essay in the Ann Arbor Chronicle (by yours truly) on the Luminary Workshops at Workantile